Media release: Quantum & dark matter road trip sets off around Australia
The National Quantum & Dark Matter Road Trip has set off on its journey to visit 40 cities and towns across Australia over the next 19 days.
Scientists will run demonstrations and workshops, deliver public lectures, run pub trivia nights and visit schools as part of the National Science Week 2022 event.
The road trip is organised by the ARC Centre of Excellence for Dark Matter Particle Physics (CDM) and ARC Centre of Excellence for Engineered Quantum Systems (EQUS).
It aims to spread the word about the cutting-edge research being done by Australian scientists to schools and communities across rural, regional and metropolitan areas.
Road trip organiser and physicist Dr Ben McAllister, from CDM, EQUS, Swinburne Institute of Technology and the University of Western Australia, said the 25 scientists taking part were looking forward to meeting local students and communities.
“We are really excited about the extraordinary work that Australians are doing in the fields of dark matter and quantum technologies, and we want to share that excitement with all Australians, whether they live in the city or the bush,” Dr McAllister said.
Public events throughout the road trip include:
Quantum and dark matter demos and workshops
- University of Queensland, Gatton Campus, Gatton QLD, Monday 8 August
- Marvell Hall, Byron Bay NSW, Tuesday 9 August
- University of Sydney, Sydney NSW, Saturday 13 August
- Lanyon Homestead, Tharwa ACT, Sunday 14 August
- City Library, Adelaide SA, Saturday 20 August
Public talks and lectures
- University of Sydney, Sydney NSW, Friday 12 August
- Stawell Town Hall, Stawell VIC, Wednesday 17 August
- University of Adelaide, Adelaide SA, Saturday 20 August
Pub trivia, with a twist of science
- Brougham Arms Hotel, Bendigo VIC, Tuesday, 16 August
- Bentleys Hotel, Clare SA, Thursday 18 August
- Quairading Hotel, Quairading WA, Thursday, 25 August
More information about the road trip is available at https://www.qdmroadtrip.org.
INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITY: Scientists are available for interview throughout the road trip. Contact Fleur Morrison on 0421 118 233 or email email@example.com to arrange an interview or photo opportunity.